GLYDE® – Sustains Cartilage Synthesis & Reduces Inflammation
The core problems of OA are caused by reduced anabolic activity (production of cartilage and synovial fluid) and an increase in catabolic activity (an increase in cartilage degradation). In both humans and horses, studies have shown that there is benefit in taking oral supplements that promote joint health. There are three naturally occurring products that assist in treating the causes of OA:
- Glucosamine Hydrochloride
- Chondroitin Sulfate
- Green Lipped Mussel (ETA)
GLYDE® Powder and GLYDE®Paste contain a therapeutic dose of all three ingredients.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are both required for the production of Glycosaminoglycans – the building blocks of cartilage and synovial (joint) fluid.
- Glucosamine has been shown to stimulate the production of synovial fluid and cartilage by up to 50%
- Glucosamine is also a rate limiting substrate (important building block) in the production of cartilage and synovial fluid
- Chondroitin sulfate is a direct building block of cartilage
- Chondroitin also inhibits cartilage degradation by 59% by inhibiting metalloproteinases -enzymes which degrade cartilage – and also by absorbing free radicals that cause oxidative stress
- Chondroitin is also known to block formation of thrombi (micro blood clots) in the small blood vessels that supply nutrients and oxygen to the subchondral bone and cartilage
Green-Lipped Mussel (GLM)
GLM is a unique source of a variety of nutrients that are beneficial for joint health and maintaining a healthy immune system. GLM contains a unique Omega-3 fatty acid (ETA) which has strong anti-inflammatory properties but without the risk of gastrointestinal side effects seen with NSAIDs (such as Butin and Finadyne). ETA selectively and safely inhibits the inflammatory process.
Oral administration of GLYDE® may be beneficial in overcoming the core deficits of OA and ETA may have a beneficial effect on cartilage metabolism by reducing the breakdown of cartilage by destructive enzymes. Furthermore, unlike NSAIDs, horses are permitted to race under the continual administration of ETA as it is a safe product derived from a natural source so therefore does not come under scrutiny from the stewards.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Carnarvon Vet Hospital users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.
Write a product review